Thursday, 21 May 2015
It's that busy time of the year for St. James choirs and auditions are coming up fast. Grade 5 students are invited to try out for the Divisional choirs for 2015-2016.
JUNIOR CONCERT CHOIR (JCC)
Under the direction of Ms. Gabriella Gallo, the Junior Concert Choir (JCC) is an award-winning choir that has gained local and national recognition. Membership to the choir will give students the opportunity to develop their potential for musical excellence, and to meet with other talented musicians in our school division. Singers in this group enjoy rehearsing and performing a wide variety of beautiful music. In addition to having fun singing together, this choir works very hard. For this reason, the choir is considered an "elite" performing group, meeting the special musical needs of highly motivated, self-disciplined singers.
JCC practices weekly on Wednesdays from 4:15-5:45 being Wednesday, Sept. 9 at Bannatyne School, 363 Thompson Ave. The 'choir kick-off' camp is held at Camp Arnes from Sept. 23-25.
- full year commitment to all rehearsals and concerts (Sept - May)
- be prepared for audition and performances
- singing ability (in pitch, energy, memory, facial expression and vocal quality)
- excellent behaviour
- uniform - as noted by Ms. Gallo
- choir camp - must attend; cost is $130 (some subsidies available but see requirements)
Auditions will take place from June 1-4 for Grade 5 students. Students must sign up for a 10 minute slot. Please go to the following link to sign up for an audition: JCC Audition Sign-up
The audition includes:
- vocal range warm-ups to determine how high or low you can sing
- prepared selection by student (you will be assessed for tuning, energy, facial expression and vocal quality)
- singing back a melody echo (you will hear a simple melody a few times and sing it back)
- a canon sung in round with Ms. Gallo (eg. Row Row Your Boat)
- reading and clapping rhythms
Audition Application Forms are available from Ms. Rempel.